Triathlon Race Countdown

Monday, September 12, 2011

I'm actually doing it!

In August, I finally decided that I really needed to work on this.

At a lot more pounds than I will admit on the internet, I couldn't even walk to the library without getting winded.

I joined an on-line app called Runkeeper.com, dragged out the running shoes mom bought me, put my headphones on, and off I went.  Some days are a lot better than others, but at least I am doing it now.

I feel better than I have felt in a long time, and I know that it is because I am working to feel that way.  Just recently, I decided that I didn't want to walk for just me.  How self-righteous is that???  SO...  I'm on the fundraising path.  I will be posting walks, runs, races, I am getting involved in to help others less fortunate than myself.  I'm taking requests and looking for motivations.  I hope that you will help too, whether you walk, run, or just donate, please get involved!

Just up the street from where I live, there will be a fundraising walk for Juvenile Diabetes.  It's Sunday, September 18th.  If you want to learn more about it, find information here.

The story is simple.  I was diagnosed with diabetes several years ago.  I treated with diet and exercise, but that didn't help.  I am now on my second kind of pill attempting to control it.  I walk every morning and I watch what I eat, though I could be better.  If I can get my weight and A1C down, then I can go off the medication, but that makes me one of the lucky ones.

Perhaps my biggest motivation is my husband's cousin.  She has struggled with diabetes here whole life, and she is only 20 years old.  She dances, goes to college and has a great job, but there are days when she has to be in the hospital to regulate her sugars.  She even wears an insulin pump all the time, but sometimes it isn't enough.

I found this walk in the newspaper, and asked DJ about it.  He explained the process.  If you are interested in helping, there is a "donate now" button.  If you would like to walk with me, you can sign up for that too!

My first 5K walk is October 29th in Omaha.  I will be walking for the Salvation Army.  It's called the Red Kettle Run and the link is here.  I love this one because registration is only $10 or at least 10 non-perishable food items.  I'm really excited that a bunch of my friends will be coming with me for this one.  If you would like to make a food contribution, just let me know!

1 comment:

  1. Just so you know...i felt a little guilty when I drove past shauna this morning . She was running...i was eating a donut.

    ReplyDelete